Just because those men have turbans on they’re the enemy? Just because they have dark skin? Beards?
Reagan met with the Mujaheddin. The fighters who were at war against the invading Soviets. The enemy of my enemy. If that’s too complicated of a concept I’ll be more than happy to explain the cold war and the usage of proxy wars.
Let’s set the timeline straight.
- Reagan meets with Mujaheddin 1983 (Pictured above)
- Soviets withdraw from Afghanistan in 1989
- The Taliban doesn’t even become an active militia until 1994
- The Taliban doesn’t take primary control of Afghanistan until 1996 (13 years after the photo above)
- During the rise of the Taliban the US backs the Northern Alliance, a Islamic Democratic group dedicated to fighting against the totalitarian Taliban.
So let’s review.
- You’re racist.
- You don’t understand history.
- You clearly took a photo out of context
History is not a strong point of the left, because it is so often against them.
You did forget to mention that the Mujahideen had offshoots that became al Qaeda and the Taliban. So he is indirectly meeting with the enemy.
Edit: In addition, it was a stupid move to radicalize the Mujahideen. We ended up causing way more problems for ourselves than was necessary. Also, Reagan kinda sucked at foreign policy.
And became the Northern Alliance.
You’re forgetting the greater threat of the Soviet Union and what it meant if they were able to advance across Asia.
Don’t get me wrong. The libby that posted this was an idiot and clearly didn’t know what the hell he was talking about. But how is history “so often against the left”?